NYHIST-L Archives

October 2001

From:
Poor House Lady <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 13:09:32 -0500
A personal note:  During the past month I have felt numb and confused ...
and helpless to offer any assistance to the folks on these lists who may
live in New York City (whose pain, fear, and confusion I cannot begin to
even imagine.) The following may be of interest to only a few ... but it
certainly helped me to occupy myself with work that I had previously
procrastinated.  There is a very fascinating (to both historians and
genealogists) report on poverty & poor relief in New York State which was
published in 1823 called the YATES REPORT. I have been slowly posting the
various county sections to my website. But the much larger size of the
reports for New York City & County ... as well as my own ignorance of the
geo-political organization of NYC ... resulted in my not having transcribed
that particular section until now. I hope it will be of interest to you.
You are in thoughts and my prayers. (Not a very scholarly thing to say ...
but necessary somehow.) Now ... belatedly ... you are in my work also! [I
THINK this is the part which deals with what is now Manhattan; we have also
published the section for QUEENS County and KINGS County. Of course, BRONX
County did not exist then; Richmond County will be done next. See, I
actually have learned a little about the five counties of New York City in
the past few days! <grin>]

So ...

We would like to invite you to visit our website, The POORHOUSE STORY (a
clearinghouse for information about 19th century American poorhouses) at
http://www.poorhousestory.com

We just posted the YATES REPORT section for New York City & County.

DIRECTIONS:
At the homepage (link above) click on POORHOUSES BY STATE, then on NEW YORK
on the table of states, then on NEW YORK on the table of counties. You will
see the entry near the top of the page (with a yellow NEW arrow). (NOTE: If
you have visited the site recently, you may have to click on REFRESH on your
browser to see the new information.)

There are other pages on the site which may give you some interesting
perspective on poorhouses. They are off the homepage and include: the
HISTORY page and the LETTER TO GENEALOGISTS as well as FEATURED ARTICLES.
There are great tips for researching poorhouse records for yourself on the
RECORDS page; and you might want to subscribe to our (almost) monthly
newletter (which you can do in the lower right corner of the homepage).

The information on our site will only grow through the submissions of
generous readers.  If you would like to e-mail me ... please do so off-list
because I cannot maintain subscriptions to as many lists as we post messages
on. (You can use an e-mail link off one of our web pages.)

We hope you enjoy the site!

Thanks,
Linda Crannell
(aka=The Poorhouse Lady)