NYHIST-L Archives

July 1999

From:
Phil Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 09:17:05 -0400
The main mode of transport west from New England and the Hudson Valley, around 1800, was the inland waterway network that ran essentially from Albany to Oswego, with connections at Oneida
County to the Finger Lakes waterways.

Information can be found on the Web at http://www.nysm.nysed.gov/hisresearch.html

There were some families who went by land, however. Please contact me directly with any details about the trip, and I will try and help you determine the mode of transport.

Philip Lord, Jr.
Acting Chief, Historical Survey
New York State Museum
Albany, NY 12230
Website: http://www.nysm.nysed.gov

>>> Ruth Ann Messick <[log in to unmask]> 07/19 12:56 AM >>>
Before the Erie Canal was built, what was the main mode of transportation
across NYS (via what is now Rt. 20) when a family was moving bag and
baggage
to take up residence elsewhere?  Particularly wondering about 1800 time
period from Springfield, MA to Oneida County.

God Bless
Ruth Ann